Monday, February 8, 2010

"Dating Land" Retitled

I've been mulling this for a while and after a lot of thought I’ve decided to rebrand my blog.

Those of you who have followed me online for the past few years started with my first blog, Divorce Land. When I began blogging again I decided to continue the concept and rechristen my new blogging adventure: Dating Land.

Honestly?

That’s a great idea. In theory.

The truth is . . . I started Dating Land with a writing experiment. I used the blog as a place to write about a relationship that had just ended. Because I already knew the plot/conflict/characters I wanted to write the story in a “chapter” format. I basically wanted to see if I could compose a novella type story online and be successful since I had previously written self contained essays, not an ongoing story. Would I be able to attract readers? Retain them?

The resounding answer was yes.

People swarmed to “Dating Land” to read the story about Nick the firefighter. I was overwhelmed by the comments and emails I received and buoyed by the fact that I could write in a way that would hold people’s interest week after week and connect with readers chapter after chapter.

I have now transferred that energy to the novel I am working on and subsequently have been tossing around ideas about what to do with “Dating Land.”

Of course, everyone wants to be Carrie Bradshaw, but that isn’t realistic. Number one, my dating life just isn’t that interesting. Number two, if it were I certainly wouldn’t put it on the internet in real time. That would be, well, completely psycho. At least not without an alias (for myself).

I want to continue to blog because it is a great format that forces me to write on a regular basis. Plus, it showcases my writing style to potential editors. (Any editors out there wanna throw me a book deal the answer is YES!)

However, I no longer want the word “dating” in the title. Quite honestly, I am taking a conscious and decisive break from dating. Not only has it been a disappointing experience but it’s time consuming. And right now? I have two children who need me and a new job that I am extremely devoted to. Putting on mascara and leaving my house to eat a steak with a complete stranger doesn’t sound appealing at this precise moment in time.

And, I’ll also be quite vulnerable and honest on this topic as long as I am here:

The guy I dated after Nick this November was amazing and I fell hard. It didn’t work out but I miss him a lot. But I don’t want to put all those details on the internet. I want to be more respectful of myself and of him too. Plus, if I do start dating again, I am getting sick of that awkward confession that, “So, I am a writer and I have a blog on . . . um . . . dating.” thing. It’s just too hard to explain how that angle exists to attract readers and that I'm really not just throwing every little tidbit about my personal life on the internet when I meet someone new. It freaks men out and I don't blame them.

So . . . here's the deal: I’ll continue to write my funny little stories right here as always. But I’m going to explore numerous facets of life and it is not going to be solely about my dating ventures (or lack of). I’ve already been doing that if you’ve been reading regularly . . . I’ve written about a locked bathroom door, my visit with Santa, and even a great reunion with an old girlfriend. And I plan to continue that format. If I want to make the occasional commentary on love and dating, I absolutely will. But I’m not going to try to continue with a blog title that infers I write exclusively about dating topics, when I don't.

And so, my dear readers, I would be honored if you would continue to support my writing endeavors as I unveil my blog new title:

Chronicles of a Girl

Life will continue to be an adventure, I have no doubt. And I’ll continue to document those dynamic, insightful, truly hilarious, or sometimes just random moments.

Right here. As always.

Thanks for reading . Hope to see you back here every Monday and Thursday!

~Audra

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if you're aware of the hex you just cast, but declaring your intentions to abstain from dating just made you that much more attractive to the opposite sex. Good luck with all that now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you reading Dating Land! Your comment will be published once I have reviewed it and determined you are not a meth head/freak job/maniac. Thanks for reading, please visit me every Monday and Thursday! ~Audra