Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Eternally Impossible To Do List

I make a “to do” list every day. And I am not sure it is something I should be proud of. It sounds kind of anal retentive, mildly neurotic, and absolutely futile. But I do it anyway.

One for work. One for the rest of my life.

From conference calls to dentist appointments, it’s all there, mapped out and meticulously crossed off as accomplished. Unfortunately, some days I wonder if my to do list crawls off my counter, puts on a naughty little number, hits the bars, and brings home another shady to do list, gets busy, and gives birth to a whole slew of additional tasks. Because I don’t know how this multiplication happens but some days my list is longer at the end of the day than it was at the beginning.

Perplexing.

My point? I am busy as crap.

Case in point: when people ask what my favorite tv show is I just kind of glaze over and get all slack jawed because honestly? Who has time to watch tv? I do not. Maybe I should make time, but I simply cannot imagine having the luxury to just sit on the couch and do nothing. I have kids, pets, a job, a house to clean, laundry to do, bills to pay and a yard to mow. I know everyone else does too so maybe they know something I don’t? Or they have maids, gardeners, and a laundry service. Or else they don’t and they live in filth, have knee-high grass and wear the same pair of underwear for days on end.

Who knows?

All I know is I am damn busy chasing after the eternally impossible to do list.

The one thing that I do make time for on that list though, no matter what, is my daily run. That is my escape. That is my sanity. It is the one task on my to do list that trumps everything else. (Well, I don’t let my children starve or run around in the same outfit for three days in a row, they are a priority, but you know what I mean.)

Today was an exceptionally crazy day and gave up on my to do list for good at around 7pm. There were still tasks left but I threw in the towel and waved a flag of surrender in the form of my running shoes and iPod. The bathroom was dirty, the laundry needed to be folded, and the kitchen was experiencing a dirty dishes hostile takeover.

Screw it. I’m going for a run.

And that’s that. Cranked up my favorite Lady Antebellum song and hit the trail.

Good bye to do list.

I’ll see you.

Tomorrow.
*************************

I Run to You ~ by Lady Antebellum
Music Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs38lKxmtI4

I run from hate
I run from prejudice
I run from pessimists
But I run too late

I run my life
Or is it running me?
Run from my past
I run too fast
Or too slow it seems

When lies become the truth
That's when I run to you

This world keeps spinning faster
To a new disaster
So I run to you . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you reading Dating Land! Your comment will be published once I have reviewed it and determined you are not a meth head/freak job/maniac. Thanks for reading, please visit me every Monday and Thursday! ~Audra