Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Be Grateful. Be Rich.

There are big white billboards all over North Dakota with simple statements in large block lettering instructing passersby to, “Be Kind.” “Be Grateful.”

Or simply:

“Smile.”

Someone told me an anonymous millionaire pays for the signs. Definitely an impressive and inspiring way to spend some extra change.

I like how these signs sneak up out of nowhere as they rotate throughout the entire state. I never know when or where I’ll see one. One minute I’m cruising down the interstate noting that the Come On Inn has a new water slide or that there’s a Perkins at the next exit serving fresh French silk pie and the next I’m being reminded to basically count my blessings.

So I do. For as hilly and curvy as the road of life has been for me, I still find myself often stopping and just thinking to myself:

I love my life.

I really do.

I’ve made some tremendously difficult changes in the past few years but they were vital, for myself and more importantly for my children. Subsequently, life is unfolding in ways I once had only imagined possible.

And it is such a blessing.

But I do wonder sometimes about this mystery person when I see these declarations in the ditch. I wonder just how much money we’re talking. And if this person is taking heir applications?

Just kidding.

What I really wonder is what happened to make this individual want to share these simple viewpoints with the people on the prairie? Because obviously he or she knows that happiness has nothing to do with a bank balance.

Richness lies in our attitudes.

So when the road of life gets a little bumpy?

Smile.

When other people’s bad attitudes make you crash?

Be Kind.

And when the road detours unexpectedly?

Be Grateful.

Plant those signs along your own life journey and you’ll be wealthy.

In the ways that matter most.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent advice. Thanks.



    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! It is true beyond all words. We are all extremely rich if we just know where to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audra,
    As I was going through my big D in 2004 I would see these road signs on my way to work everyday. So one day on my long drive into town I called Newman signs to thank them for these signs that they had posted everywhere. Because for me this was something that really helped me through the day. Be Thankful! Even when your attorney sucks! The Grateful you didnt kill him! Smile... because you are blessed with an amazing child. I could go on and on...
    Anyway the secreatary put me through to some head guy in Jamestown's office and he then told me that it was someone who had sent them instructions and money to put simple billboards with positive messages for everyone to see.
    So everytime I see one of these boards I say a little prayer for this person and their giving heart. These billboards always make me stop whatever it is that I'm thinking or doing and "Be Grateful"
    Thank you for a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Story Audra....Amazing how so many people recognize those little things and then again there are all those people who have never noticed or taken to heart all those billboards. Each and every time I see one, it makes me stop and think.....hope that's what they do for a majority of people who see them.

    Too Many times we take the wonderful life we have for granted and it's the little things like that which bring some of us back to reality. Thanks again for the reminder.
    Darin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you reading Dating Land! Your comment will be published once I have reviewed it and determined you are not a meth head/freak job/maniac. Thanks for reading, please visit me every Monday and Thursday! ~Audra