Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Trying to be the Change . . .

Sorry about Monday. I actually did blog on Monday but had to remove the post. It hurt people’s feelings. I shall not expound and say only this about it: It has been said that my writing is a gift. If that is true then it is God given. Therefore, I cannot use it to do evil. And hurting others is evil, intentional or not. (It was not my intent.) But I took the story down because of this: No matter what happens in this life there’s always two sides to everything. I’ve lived long enough to know that much. So I took it down. And I’m not saying that because I want applause. I liked the story I wrote on Monday. It was honest and raw. And I used some good metaphors (I am all about the metaphors). But if it hurt someone? Then it’s a bad story. No matter how clever it was written. And no matter how affirming everyone is in their commentary.

Too often in this world we want to say, “Yeah but he did this!” or “Yeah but she did that!”

Karma is definitely real but the cyclical motion of it is something all of us have the power to halt to “Be the Change you want to see in the world.” Isn’t that beautiful? Be the change. None of us are truly victims, empowerment is much more accessible than we realized.

Yes it is. But I think it’s a lot easier said than done. In fact, I think with my strong personality I probably fail at that one every day.

Because truly to live that philosophy you would have to do the following:

When you are wronged. Ignore it. When you are attacked. Retreat. When you are ridiculed. Pray for your enemies.

It is the only way we can ever bring true love into the world.


I have a very hard time with all of the above. When I am wronged I tell the person who wronged me why they’re wrong. When I’m attacked I send a strongly worded text message. When I am ridiculed I pray that person mistakes Nair for shampoo.

It’s a good thing my prayers are rarely answered. If they were half the people I know would be bald.


An approach I heard once that helps me calm down in my more diva-like moments is to imagine someone you strongly dislike as either an infant or an elderly person. Doing so can provide the ammunition to extinguish those negative feelings. Imagining that person in a more vulnerable state of life allows you to see the whole person and almost, do I dare say?, look upon them through the eyes of God.

For God sees our whole story. From beginning to end. Our entire life is stretched before Him. He knows why we do what we do, why we think the way we think, why we act the way we act. He sees a side of us that honestly few other humans will know of us.

None of us can ever have an omniscient perspective but we can at least try to forgive the humanity of others and simply acknowledge our own.

So.

That’s that.

Let us all be more cognizant of our thoughts, words, and actions and how they ripple through the world around us. Spread waves of humility.

And be a barrier to waves of anger, resentment, ridicule, and misunderstanding.

YOU.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

When you hurt others apologize. And when they hurt you? Well, as for me I will simply try to refrain from future Nair hair prayers.
**************************************************
Since I removed Monday's post I won't do a Thursday post this week. Wednesday will have to do this week blogarama fans. Happy 4th of July everyone...and happy 38th birthday to me this weekend. The original firecracker. Well, not the "original" . . . I'm getting old but I wasn't born in 1776!

Although somedays 1876 might seem plausible . . .

Muah!
~Audra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you reading Dating Land! Your comment will be published once I have reviewed it and determined you are not a meth head/freak job/maniac. Thanks for reading, please visit me every Monday and Thursday! ~Audra